ADASS BoF?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:20:19 PDT 2006

> I don't really know how much of the core HTN audience attends
> ADASS, they're generally more SPIE people.

The point of the exercise would be to grow the HTN or VOEvent
community.  Autonomous observatory operations is bound to be a growth
industry with LSST, Pan-STARRS, DES and other large time domain
surveys looming.  The previous generation of surveys were more static
in nature and traditional modes of observing - but also of data
transport, processing and contingent scheduling, etc. - were
acceptable.  A lot of the point of LSST would be missed without rich
automated follow-up.

Perhaps Robert might comment about HTN interest?

> At $325 registration fee and $155 a night for the hotel + airfare +
> tax and incidentals I'm probably looking at well over $2500 to
> attend, so unless someone wants to give me a boat load of money,
> I'm not going, I don't have budget for that...

SPIE registration was a couple hundred bucks more and the conference
rate at the Orlando World Center was something like $150, too.  This
is the start of the tourist season in southern AZ and this is a high-
end resort.  Could get a room at a Comfort Inn or something for
signifcantly less.  I think the ADASS has always been pretty good
about waving registration when needed.

What do other folks think about a BoF cohosted by VOEvent[Net?],
LANL, LSST, GCN, etc. and focusing on community building, networking,
systems architecturalizing and such directed toward autonomous
observatory modes?  Would be a good chance to roll out GCN-2...

Rob