another logo possibility

kborne at gmu.edu kborne at gmu.edu
Wed Dec 20 09:55:51 PST 2006

Here is my submission, in keeping with Roy's suggestions.
(Pardon the copyright notice at the bottom -- that is the
graphic design site that I used.)

- Kirk

> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:22:53 -0800
> From: Roy Williams <roy at cacr.caltech.edu>
> To: Rob Seaman <seaman at noao.edu>
> CC: IVOA List VOEvent <voevent at ivoa.net>
> Subject: Re: another logo possibility
>
> Rob
>
> I'm sorry, I really don't like this sun/moon/hand thing. I know it comes
> from the Chaco canyon petroglyph, and that is a beautiful story of the
> year 1054. But taken out of the context of petroglyph, we lose all that.
> VOEvents do not occur on the moon, and they are not created by human
> hands. So it is an inside joke.
>
> I am also not so keen on the <XML/> symbolism, it seems to me we should
> not be exposing XML syntax, but rather hiding it.
>
> I think the right logo is a simple simple thing, just an explosion and
> the word VOEvent, like the Tycho supernova.
>
> Roy

Dr. Kirk D. Borne
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, SSDOO Program Manager, QSS Group Inc.
and George Mason University, Associate Research Professor, College of Science
<mailto:kirk.borne at gsfc.nasa.gov>  Tel. +1-301-286-0696  Fax: 301-286-1771
Staff page:      http://rings.gsfc.nasa.gov/
US Virtual Observatory:  http://www.us-vo.org/
Large Synoptic Survey Telescope:  http://www.lssto.org/