VOEvent Workshop, update

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 17 13:03:38 PST 2005

This note serves as an update on the upcoming VOEvent workshop. The original
announcement is attached below, including the web page, containing further
information.

(1) Practicality
The Caltech Faculty club (Athenaeum) has no more rooms. If you do not have a place to
stay for the meeting, please see the list of hotels listed at the web page. You are
invited to a nice dinner on Wednesday evening. My colleague Sarah Emery Bunn
sarah at cacr.caltech.edu has kindly agreed to help VOEvent people with practical
arrangements or other procedural matters.

(2) Registration
If you are intending to come to the workshop and your name is not in the list below,
please reply to me with your intention.

(3) Are you in the agenda?
We are in the process of making an agenda, with some names sketched in already. The
aim of the workshop is to define the nature of messages that announce or follow up on
Immediate Astronomical Events (VOEvents). The way that systems create or respond to
such messages is only of interest if it affects that nature of the message. Therefore
I would like to ask if you would like to give a short presentation that is relevant
to the stated aim of the workshop, and if so, what would be a working title?

(4) Focus Areas
The discussions will help us to answer the "Focus Areas" listed below. I would be
most grateful if you all could think through these questions before the meeting. We
will have a discussion on these, and you will have opportunity to express those
thoughts. I would like to get email comments on these from those unable to attend the
workshop.

Focus Area 1:
What are the purposes of a system that exchanges information about immediate
astronomical events (VOEvents). How and why should we search and subscribe to such a
feed? How would messages be generated from one telescope and be used to drive another
telescope? What can be done with a federation of VOEvent data from different sources?
(eg searching LIGO/GRB databases? Xray flash followed by optical transient?)

Focus Area 2:
What is the semantic structure of a VOEvent message? Is the "Who, When, Where, What,
How" paradigm the correct one? How should existing schema be integrated? Please try
to read the existing draft semantics:
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaVOEvent/VOEvent-0.3.htm

Focus Area 3:
How can we make a set of adjectives ("ontology") that can be used to describe a
VOEvent (eg supernova, planetary volcano, magnitude increase, etc)

Focus Area 4:
How can we build a system that exchanges VOEvent messages for the purposes that we
uncover in Focus Area 1? What are the softeare components, protocols, and messages?
What is the security infrastructure (if any)? Who can create and inject messages into
the system? Who can read, subscribe, and query the messages?

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.
Roy Williams

Current known participants:

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
 Ian Atkinson <ian.atkinson at jcu.edu.au>
Tim Axelrod taxelrod at lsst.org
Scott Barthelmy scott at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Vasily Belokurov vasily at ast.cam.ac.uk
Joshua Bloom jbloom at cfa.harvard.edu
George Djorgovski george at astro.caltech.edu
Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Derek Fox derekfox at astro.caltech.edu
Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Frederic Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de
Scott Koranda skoranda at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Szabolcs Marka smarka at phys.columbia.edu
Carl Pennypacker crpennypacker at lbl.gov
Tom Vestrand vestrand at lanl.gov