VOEvent v1.0 released

Joshua Bloom jbloom at astron.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 11 13:28:04 PDT 2005

On Jul 11, 2005, at 3:10 AM, Rob Seaman wrote:
> A 24/7/365 sky monitoring program obviously cannot afford
> dependencies on the health of external servers.  We might want to
> open the post-v1.0 era seeking comments on how best to serve the
> schemata.

Probably all parties in the VOEventNet will validate against a local
version of the schemata (Or, for providers, they will likely validate
against a fixed version that, generally, lags behind the current
version and assume that all packets that they generate with the same
code will be valid.). I assume that DOMs will be able to store look
up translation tables for external entities. Even when an aggregator
promises to house current-version-validated messages, requiring a
conversion from an older version from an out-of-date provider, that
aggregator might only seldom refresh the local schema to make sure
it's whole local store of schemata are correct.

Congrats to all of who you worked so hard to get v1.0 out and about
town.

Josh

Joshua Bloom
Assistant Professor, UC Berkeley