[voeventnet] Re: URLs?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Fri Dec 23 15:10:34 PST 2005

Two comments:

1)  I see there is now a voeventnet list in addition to voevent and
voevent-core.  Have seen this topical list inflation over and over
again.  Once a list exists it's virtually impossible to eradicate,
but might suggest we not create any more voevent related lists.

2)  The role="iamalive" packets are also intended to increase faith
in the reliability of packet delivery.  Strongly suspect we will be
ineluctably driven to technologies that guarantee reliable queued
delivery and, in general, true transaction processing for VOEvent.
Some of the worst programming ever seen is encountered at automatic
teller machines.  Am positive the bozos they hire to do this work
would come off poorly in any comparison with a typical ADASS
programmer.  And yet, the technology somehow generates trust in the
proper recording of all (not just some) transactions associated with
vast numbers of such machines.  That is the value of a transactional
packet handling model.

We're not going to build a reliable VOEvent network simply by
duplicating every data pathway.

Rob