SimDB/DM note and related documents

Hervé Wozniak herve.wozniak at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Nov 24 13:10:59 PST 2010

Dear colleagues,

as decided in Victoria (1), and advertise on the Theory list (2), we
have had a meeting in Strasbourg (3).

During this meeting, the participants have decided to quickly finalize
the specification for the Simulation Data Model on which theoretical
services will rely on (SimDB, SimDAL, etc.).

Thus, we have prepared the Note describing the Simulation Data Model
(SimDB/DM). The last version is attached but since we still work on a
few sections of the document, it is always preferable to upload the very
last one on volute (4). Anyway, since it is close to completion and to
speed up the discussion, we prefer you start reading and commenting the
Note as it is now.

You can find all the documents relevant for the specification (including
the Note and its appendix) on this dedicated IVOA twiki page:

http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IVOATheorySimDMspec

Don't hesitate to check whether you have got the very last version since
we still trying to improve some part of the text.

After discussion with the DM chair, the whole SimDB/DM specification
must be send to the DM chair on November 30th. So, please, send your
comments well before that date.

The Note will then be discussed on the DM list for a month under the
responsibility of the DM WG and, obviously, in Nara during a DM session
and Theory-1. So, if no problem occurs, DM chair can ask to open the RFC
period in January.

The schedule is tight. Sorry for these short delays but since we have
extensively discuss the models several times (and in Strasbourg for the
last one), I guess we can now proceed faster. Moreover we are all
preparing Nara, so it is the best period to proceed with the spec!

Thanks a lot for your (past and future) contribution(s) to this model,

Best regards,

Herve

for the authors of the note.

(1) http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/PlenarySessionsMay2010/TIG_closing.ppt
(2) http://www.ivoa.net/pipermail/theory/2010-August/000734.html
(3) http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/StrasbourgSimDaysSep2010
(4)
http://volute.googlecode.com//svn/trunk/projects/theory/snapdm/specification/SimDB-DataModel.doc

--
Herve WOZNIAK

Directeur
Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
UMR 7550 Universite de Strasbourg - CNRS
11, rue de l'Universite, F-67000 Strasbourg

Tel/Phone : +33 3 68 85 24 45   Fax : +33 3 68 85 24 32

mel/mail : herve.wozniak at astro.unistra.fr
skype : herve.wozniak
http://herve.wozniak.fr/