Spectra DM for theoretical spectra?

bonnarel bonnarel at alinda.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Jun 3 06:14:32 PDT 2009

The discussion between Alberto and Carlos stretches the actual difficulty of
the scope of the characterization concept.
   In Alberto's description we admit implicitly that the characterization
axes are Position, time, spectral, polarization and flux.
   This is basically what we have in oBservations datasets.
   Many people (including Alberto, I think) want to restrict this strictly
to these kind of obersvation data products.

   My point is that nothing prevents to have the same general structure with
axes giving other parameters such as Teff, mass, etc ... for a given dataset
(eg a Snapshot), although in practice we only have experimented
Observational data. (This is not at all excluded by the Char reference
document)

    Assume an ObjecTCollection in the sense of SimDB: each object has a
couple of "properties" and these properties show a certain distribution of
values for the whole collection. Characterizing this collection in the sense
of SimDB is giving min/max (very similar to the bounds) and some statistical
moments (mean, mode, etc...) if not the distribution itself.
   I think that a real observation can be seen as a set of "Observing
events". Each "Observing event" is an "Object" in the sense of simDB.
    It has "properties" with the meaning of coordinates on the Observation
axes.
    The statistical distribution of "a priori" efficiencies of these events
is what has been called "Level 4" or "sensitivity" by IVOA characterization.
     I think Gerard had a similar view but was distinguishing "Properties"
and "Values of these properties" in a way incompatible with the actual
design of IVOA Characterization DM. As was stated by Rick "properties" also
include concepts such as resolution which are not axes in the sense of IVOA
Char DM.
     My point is although there are objective difficulties in comparing the
two characterization concepts (IVOA and SimDB) it is a pity that we do not
reached convergence.

     By the way Nothing in this invalidates what has been written by
Alberto, Jesus or myself about Provenance of a theoretical spectrum.
    It is not specific to simulation data that some stuff in the Provenance
of a dataset has its OWN characterization. Imagine a coadded image: it has
its  characterization. Each individual member is part of its provenance and
has its own charac different from the one of the whole coadded image !!!!

François