S3/SimDB

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Sun Feb 22 17:57:41 PST 2009

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the mails :) it looks that the list is alive...

Here there are my five cents:

- Regarding SimDB, I must admit that I need to look at it in more
detail: I had been aware of SNAP, but I lost the change from SNAP to
SimDB/SimDAP and the first notice I had about the possible use of
SimDB on "microsimulations" was in Trieste interop. Any case, I think
that it is interesting to discuss the possible uses here, in the
mailing list. [Gerard has send some mails about SimDB, SNAP etc,
however not too much response has been in the list, and most of the
discussion has been done (mainly) in the Interop meetings, where not
everybody interested are able to attend, so, reading the mails in the
list, it is very difficult to know what's going on...]

- I am still worried about simplicity: Lot of astronomers produce
model that would include in the VO (in fact, they put their models in
WWW pages), but they have no  knowledge on XML etc... so they just
look for the most simple solution (they want a simple solution,
otherwise they will not put their models in a VO way). I think that it
is needed to offer this kind of flexible solution, apart of other
solutions more detailed. Ej. In observations, a Cone Search, or a Name
Search, although simple, are very useful and powerful. Of course,
other types of searsch are interesting, and the development of ADQL is
needed, (but also, it does not means that all queries must be done
ONLY with ADQL, neither than ConeSearch or Name Search must disappear).
In this aspect, I am not sue that it is needed that S3 and SimDB
converge :)

Cheers

	Miguel