S3/SimDAP

Carlos Rodrigo Blanco crb at laeff.inta.es
Fri Feb 20 02:08:02 PST 2009

Hi

First of all, sorry for not having been able to answer this email by
Herve. When he sent it, I had just went on vacation, and I came back more
than a month later (and you know... having hundreds of mails to read...
sorry in any case)

I have looked for that mail and, as I see it, the mail is mostly about
"good intentions" about trying to find a convergence between S3 and
SimDAP. The only thing that I can say about that is: "great, it could be
nice". Although, in fact, I don't know much about SimDAP so I cannot tell
more. It could be most helpful if you could write some document about how
SimDAP works (It doesn't need to be a thoroughfull detailed document, but,
at least, being a protocol: what questions can be sent to a server, what
kind of answers the server gives... those simple things).

With that we would have something to talk about.

At baltimore I understood that SimDAP was mostly a way to retrieve a final
document (mostly "give the url of the document") an a prescription on how
to describe the document content. But I could have misunderstood it.

For instance, I can't imagine the meaning of " the cutout service
is already optional in the proposal made by Claudio and Rick (cf Rick'
presentation on thursday) so this is no more a barrier to microsims. "
Why was it a barrier??

In what respects to telecons, I don't like them very much. English is not
our language in most cases and I'm sorry to say that this problem is
usually enlarged in telecons specially if we don't know if advance what we
are going to talk about. I would propose to have: first, some documents to
study, then some writen discusions in this mailing list and then we could
maybe have some telecon to discuss the details in a faster way (but having
studied the subject in advance)

By the way, I think that it would be nice to use this list more often.
For instance, would it be posible that we have a copy of the document
about "theory in the VO and those things" (I don't know the title, sorry)
that was writen recently?

In summary, the idea of collaborating in getting a better protocol sounds
nice for me (collaborating allways sounds nice to me) but I would need to
know much more about SimDAP to say something else.

In any case, thanks for the mails from Herve and then Miguel trying to
reactivate te subject

Carlos