XML Schema for the Simulation Data Model

Rick Wagner rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 15 21:15:21 PST 2008

Dear Laurent,

>>> I think the start of a solution to what you're suggesting a version
>>> control system (Subversion gets my vote), and perhaps something
>>> like a
>>> Trac site. This would give easy access to a change log, and a way to
>>> compare versions. Both the NVO and AstroGrid use Trac and
>>> Subversion, so
>>
>>> suspect someone would host the project. If not, I will offer up
>>> space on
>>> our server.
>>
>> Q: Do we need a proper system as Rick suggests?
>
> I don’t think so. Such tools are useful when coding but lead to
> confusion
> when too many differences occure between 2 versions.

I politely disagree. Not utilizing an automated system (version
control), when dealing with shared text files eventually leads to
some kind of error, unless all changes are trivial, or only done by a
single person. Branching and merging is well supported in Subversion,
which makes maintaining personal working copies much easier.

> As the SNAP DM is in progress, it is really difficult to find a
> good way
> to track changes, but maybe a simple written change log, as Gerard
> did, is
> enough for the moment.

The version control change log helps to provide a concise summary of
changes.

I am not trying to berate this point, since I keep all of my projects
under version control already. I just believe that this is the
simplest to collaborate on shared XMI and XSLT files.

Finally, I came across a project set up on Google Code by Norman Gray at
  http://code.google.com/p/volute/.

I do not know if he is willing to open this up to us, but he may be.
If not, we could always set up our own project.

--Rick