[SEMANTICS] Re: semantics

debray at obs-besancon.fr debray at obs-besancon.fr
Fri Jun 16 08:05:27 PDT 2006

Dear members of the "theory" mailing list,

as the deadline for collecting list of words and concepts
(http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/TheorySemanticVocabulary) is
approaching at high speed, I am just sending some comments coming from our view
with the model of the Galaxy developed in Besançon (see
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/GalacticStellarContentSimulator).

I have added some items on the twiki page and give some comments thereafter.

The additions are :

1. add Galactic model to "name of code"

2. add "stars" to "subject"
   comment:
in our mind, this is different from "star" ; "star" as a simulation subject can
be understood as modelling the structure, interior, ... of a star, whereas
"stars" infers modelling stellar population(s).
  Note that, may be in a different context, VOEvent does not make some
difference between both
(http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/VOEventVocabulary/objects.html).

3.  add "Monte Carlo" and "Stellar population synthesis" to "type of algorithm"

4. add "catalogue of objects" and "object statistics" to "result type" ;

Some further comments/possible additions:

5. can "nuclear reactions" be added to "physical process" ?

6. in "result type", may be "table"  should be specified a bit more ?

7. should not we distinguish between result "type" (which could be "snapshot",
"animation", " catalogue of objects",  "object statistics", ...) and result
"format" (which could then be: "FITS", "VOTable", "MPEG", "CSV", ...)

8. "algorithmic parameters" understood as initial and boundary conditions can be
virtually any physical or astronomical quantity ; we have added some among the
most important input parameters for the model of the Galaxy

9. I agree with Franck's remark about "Result parameters":

Franck.LePetit at obspm.fr wrote:

> 9 --- Result parameters
>
> I do not see the purpose of this UCD.

With best regards,

Bernard Debray
--
Observatoire de Besançon         | http://www.obs-besancon.fr/
41 bis, avenue de l'Observatoire | bernard.debray at obs-besancon.fr
BP 1615                          | Tel : (33) 3 81 66 69 28
25010 Besançon cedex             | Fax : (33) 3 81 66 69 44
France                           |