Schema repo presentation

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 14:27:55 CET 2021

Markus et al.,

this namespace business is fundamentally confusing, and I applaud
you for trying to address that.  My personal feeling though is that
this proposed fix is not likely to prevent confusion enough to make
it worth the the additional visual complication on the schemas page.

Two main reasons:

  - People probably aren't going to go looking on that page for
    these namespaces.  If they find themselves at https://ivoa.net/xml/
    and don't already know about the namespacing dragons,
    they will probably just click through to the XSD they're after
    rather than making character-by-character examination of the
    namespacey URI nearby (at least, that's what I'd do).

  - The namespace applies to some, though not all, of the versions
    listed in the entry it appears near to.  Your example lists:

       VOEvent: v2.0 v1.1 v1.0
       Target Namespace: http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOEvent/v2.0

    so the namespace applies to one of those entries (v2.0) but not
    to the other two (v1.1, v1.0).  Although the most recent is likely
    the one that readers will be using, that mismatch at least
    obscures the meaning.

Do I have any better ideas?  Nothing I'm confident will stop this
being ground for wide confusion, but FWIW:

  - If we go ahead with this change, I'd colour-code the namespace
    URI (green) so it's clear (to non-colourblind readers) that it's
    the current schema version it applies to.

  - Or maybe just add a banner at the top of the table saying
    "Be careful of namespaces - see the XMLVers document for details"

Mark

--
Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/