ivoatex architecture diagram: fix box widths

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Mar 8 15:59:24 CET 2021

Dear Std+Proc,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 01:28:30PM +0100, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> This message is about the architecture diagram, which, with the
> increasing number of standards, is becoming rather crowded.  A simple
> countermeasure would be to abandon the fixed width of the boxes --
> this will give the diagram a somewhat less regular appearance, but it
> will loosen things up a lot.

So, I've now superseded the with-javascript proposal with
https://github.com/ivoa-std/ivoatex/pull/42, which adds manually
defined widths to the box definitions.  This indeed loosens up the
map a lot, which so far I've only used to make the "Getting" string
from l1 visible again: http://docs.g-vo.org/archdiag-l2.svg.

Once we stop centering the boxes (e.g., in the DAL region), we can
recover enough space for another couple of decades of creating
standards.

So... could folks review the PR?  Getting any sort of feedback would
be most welcome given the extent of the change.

You might also try if the recipe for adding boxes in
archdiag-full.xml works for you; also, I believe the XSLT should be
backwards-compatible, such that existing role_diagram.svg should just
continue to work.  But if I'm wrong there, it'd be great if you
caught me before we merge this (if we merge it).

Thanks,

        Markus