version numbers

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 31 13:22:11 PST 2004

Hi Bob, Markus, Marco,

I know I should have said something earlier, so feel free to say, "it's
too late to change it."

Thanks for the acknowledgement in the Guidelines Note regarding version
numbers; however, you modified my suggestion in toward a direction I was
trying to get away from.  The convention of having 0.21 come between 0.2
and 0.22 has a real problem: you only get ten revisions of a particular
level.  What comes after 0.99 if you are not ready for 1.0?  0.991?  Or
are you out of luck?  The result is that you no longer have a sense of how
major a change the revision is.

The point of *my* saying "fields on either side of the period (.) are
integers" is to say that 3 comes between 2 and 4, and 21 come between 20
and 22.  All increments between a set of periods are considered the same
level of change.

This is how RCS, CVS, and probably most other revision control systems
work.

cheers,
Ray