[Radioig] VEP-014: product-type#spatial-profile

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Wed Mar 6 10:18:34 CET 2024

Dear all,
I agree with the addition of this term and also with these descriptions .

Thanks , Mireille

Le 05/03/2024 à 10:30, Baptiste Cecconi via Radioig a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I think this new product-type is fine. There is an equivalent dataproduct-type in EPNcore called "profile", with the following definition:
>
>> Scalar or vectorial measurements along 1 spatial dimension, e.g., atmospheric profiles, atmospheric paths, sub-surface profiles, traverses...
> Both terms are clearly equivalent.
>
> I'd just update the description field as (adding "spatial"):
>
> Baptiste
>
>> Le 5 mars 2024 à 09:31, Markus Demleitner via dal <dal at ivoa.net> a écrit :
>>
>> Dear WGs concerned,
>>
>> We have a new VEP of the product-type vocabulary, coming out of the
>> work on bringing more radio data into the VO, VEP-014 at
>> https://github.com/ivoa-std/VEPs/blob/main/VEP-014.txt
>>
>> Here is the current text:
>>
>>   Vocabulary: http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/product-type
>>   Author: Vincenzo Galluzzi <vincenzo.galluzzi at inaf.it>
>>   Date: 2023-11-13
>>
>>   New Term: spatial-profile
>>   Action: Addition
>>   Label: Spatial Profile
>>   Relationships: narrower than #spatially-resolved-dataset
>>   Used-in: TBD
>>
>>   Rationale:
>>   Spatial profiles are commonly used in single-dish radio observations,
>>   where a cross of about five beams centered on the target object is
>>   scanned for computing flux backgrounds or pointing
>>   corrections.  Other profiles used in radio astronomy scan over elevation
>>   to create opacity corrections.
>>
>>   Another case for spatial-profile would be when a planetary probe takes
>>   measurements along its flight path.  Both sorts of data products clearly
>>   need discovery modes of their own because they have analysis modes
>>   rather distinct from other data product types.  Whether the different
>>   sorts of profiles need further separation remains to be seen in usage.
>>
>> I would suggest that discussions on the concept itself should happen
>> on the Radio IG's mailing list.  Any feedback is most welcome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>          Markus

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		Images, Laboratoire ICube &
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34