[Even list/ event ] stabilizing the name of a data set containing lists of events

Mathieu Servillat mathieu.servillat at obspm.fr
Mon Jul 24 16:02:05 CEST 2023

Hi all,

I am surprised to see so few services with dataproduct_type='event' in
the registry. I can easily update the ivo://padc.obspm.he/tap services ;-)

Changing "event" to "event-list" in ObsCore seems to be motivated and
feasible. This particularly applies to high-energy events, i.e.
detections of events that potentially correspond to the arrival of a
particle on a detector (with time, coordinates, energy). Should we be
specific and name this an "he-event-list", or is "event-list"
sufficient? I think "event-list" is sufficient, as an astrophysical
event may be commonly described similarly (time, coord, energy).

The name "event" is maybe too vague and self-explicit to be defined in
the VO:
* Cambridge dictionary: "anything that happens, especially something
important or unusual"
* Wordreference: "something that happens", "something that occurs in a
certain place during a particular time"

The issue may be to use this name for more specific concepts. What is
described as VOevents could better be qualified by
"event-alert"/"event-notification" as it is generally an alert sent to
other observatories, or "event-report" as the goal is to carry metadata
information about an astrophysical event.

Cheers,
Mathieu

--
Dr. Mathieu Servillat
Laboratoire Univers et Théories, Bât 18, Bur. 222