UCD validator

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Tue Mar 1 17:34:18 CET 2022

Dear Bo, dear Alberto,

the tool you are using for validation does not handle properly
contatenation for 3 terms especially as you describe when two SS need to
be concatenated.

we use instead this assigning tool now :
http://cds.u-strasbg.fr/UCD/cgi-bin/descr2ucd

from the definition :  "luminosity in V band min value"
it builds : /phys.luminosity;em.opt.V;stat.min/

if you want to validate your ucd fields, I think the stilts tool from
Mark Taylor will help a lot
http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/stilts/sun256/votlint-usage.html

here attached is a test votable :
when you install stilts and run this command :
/>> stilts -verbose votlint ucd=true validate=true votable=./testucd.xml
you get this result
/INFO: votlint version=null validate=true ucd=true unit=null maxrepeat=4
votable=./testucd.xml out=-
ERROR (l.22, c.97): Bad UCD "em.opt.V;phys.luminosity;stat.min"
(BAD_SEQUENCE): UCD starting with a SECONDARY UCD word: "em.opt.V"! Such
words can NOT be in first position.

so the 2 SS combinations are valid and only em.opt  is detected in the
wrong position , which is correct.

I encourage you to use votlint for your checks.

best , Mireille

Le 25/02/2022 à 16:59, Bo Milvang-Jensen a écrit :

> Dear Alberto and all,
>
> Thank you for adding me in cc. I am the user who is working on
> assigning UCDs to 1200 catalogue columns, prior to publication in
> ESO's Phase 3 system (supported by Laura Mascetti), and that is a bit
> of a headache. Just to spell out this particular problem: the UCD1+
> v1.4 document only says (in my reading) that an S word cannot be
> first, it does not say that an S word has to be last! but the
> validator at CDS seems to think so.
>
> This means that according to the validator at CDS there is no way to
> construct a UCD describing a minimum value of a V-band luminosity, as
> the corresponding 3 words cannot be combined in any way:
>
> phys.luminosity;stat.min;em.opt.V --- violates the claimed ESS rule
> phys.luminosity;em.opt.V;stat.min --- violates the claimed ESS rule
> stat.min;phys.luminosity;em.opt.V --- of course not allowed (stat.min:
> S word)
>
> The validator will also complain about the sequences QSS and PSS.
>
> PS: I have a couple of other questions/problems with the UCD standard
> that I would like to ask/report. What is the best channel?
>
> Kind regards, Bo
>
> On 2/25/22 4:31 PM, Alberto Micol wrote:
>>
>> Dear CDS and UCD editors,
>>
>> I'd like to follow up on two original inquiries of mine, both sent
>> 21.02.2020, attached below,
>>
>> and ask two questions.
>>
>> We currently have an inquiry from one of our ESO principal
>> investigators (in cc),
>>
>> who needs to identify the correct UCDs needed to publish a catalog,
>>
>> and his inquiry is exactly on the same issue, the CDS validator,
>> published at:
>>
>> http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/UCD/tools.htx
>>
>> Using your "validate" form in that page on the following UCD:
>>
>> phot.flux;em.radio;arith.ratio
>>
>> one gest the error:
>>
>> 8 **** invalid sequence of syntax codes (ESS)
>>
>> Same result for BO's UCD:
>>
>> phys.luminosity;stat.min;em.opt.V
>>
>> 8 **** invalid sequence of syntax codes (ESS)
>>
>> And similar result for my UCD (see first attachment):
>>
>> phot.flux.density;em.wl;stat.uncalib;src.net
>>
>> where I get:
>>
>> 8 **** invalid sequence of syntax codes (EQSS)
>>
>> But if I remove any of the two "S" words, than I no longer get an error,
>>
>> despite the fact that a EQS should be equivalent to an ESS, given
>> that Q can be either a P or an S.
>>
>> So, it seems to me that your validator does not accept 2 "S" words in
>> a UCD.
>>
>> Please note that I took that first UCD above
>> (phot.flux;em.radio;arith.ratio)
>>
>> from a list of examples of *legal UCDs* in the UCD standard itself:
>>
>> see
>> https://www.ivoa.net/documents/REC/UCD/UCD-20050812.html#toc-header-10
>>
>> So, that must be a valid UCD.
>>
>> *Q1: Could you please verify the logic of the validator, also
>> considering what follows?*
>>
>> Before concluding, let me add a potential explanation of this issue…

> [...]

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34