Doubts with the facility name term

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Thu Feb 24 17:24:58 CET 2022

Hi Semantics,

Thank you Tamara for bringing up this issue .

In the semantics WG,  we  have been involved in some work for describing
and normalizing metadata about telescopes and instruments, also in
collaboration with the community of librarians at astronomical data
centers .

There are various levels of information for describing  the acquisition
chain providing an observation.
instrument name and telescope name are usually not enough, because ,
they are not uniquely defined , and depend on more context information :
ground observing systems versus satellite systems , etc.
So the information is spread in various notions .
May be this presentation given at interop meeting in Paris gives an idea :
https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2019Semantics/telInstrepo-ParisInterop19-EM-ML.pdf
<https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpMay2019Semantics/telInstrepo-ParisInterop19-EM-ML.pdf>
The approach was from very general to specific to be able to sketch out
a data model for the necessary metadata.
In this exercise,  we have been able to identify many situations where
the name of an instrument/telescope  does not suffice or is ambiguous.

Together with B. Cecconni we also conducted some work on merging lists
of names and properties for telescope, instruments, spacecratfs, etc. in
order to resolve duplicates and build master lists.
The first steps have been  hard due to missing or incomplete
information, ambiguity on names, change of locations for some
instruments, etc.

As Stephane mentionned earlier, and also inspired from the PDS 4
Information system,
what helps to determine the minimum instrumental identification is the link
/instrument <----> instrument_host //
/so a PID for each would help to uniquely identify the instrumental
combination/.

/I think /instrument_host /is more appropriate than /facility/ , it can
tackle more situations.

If we are able to mint a PID for each /instrument_host/ and for
each/instrument
/the ObsCore spec could evolve to support also:
/instrument_pid/ in addition to instead of the ambiguous instrument
name, and
/instr_host_pid /instead of facility name.

Some work started recently to homogeneize lists of instruments and
instruments hosts at Paris Observatory.

Taxonomy is involved for the definition of instrument types, and host
types as well.
If we would like this to be defined as IVOA vocabularies, we could get
inspired by the PDS4 instrument type list , for instance .

https://pds.nasa.gov/datastandards/documents/im/current/index_1H00.html#class_pds_instrument

best wishes, Mireille

Le 10/02/2022 à 13:18, Stéphane Erard a écrit :
> Hello
>
> As you know, in EPNCore we use a simple system to facilitate data search:
>
> Instrument_host_name : is an observatory, spacecraft, or facility ( = lab) - by observatory here, we really mean: telescope
> Instrument_name : is an instrument, either spatial, accommodated on the telescope, or in the lab
>
> Since EPNCore parameters support list of values, indications broader than a single telescope (observatory site) can also be included here.
>
> We can also provide a finer structure with:
> detector_name to specify a single detector in complex instruments, typically a channel in a space borne instrument.
> opt_elem for optional optical elements (grating, etc)
>
> E.g.:
> I find HST data with Instrument_host_name  LIKE ‘%HST%’
> 	or ivo_hashlist_has(Instrument_host_name, ‘HST') = 1
>
> And I’ll use the same query to look for data from Paranal or ESO (with little chance of success I must say).
> - Same for Rosetta Orbiter and Rosetta - they would both share the same parameter if provided
> But I see little reasons to search for ESO (or ESA), at least for users with EPNCore (although it makes sense when querying the registry, but I expect the data origin to be specified there).
>
> There may be a missing parameter in EPNcore, but we all know that describing a hierarchy of things with 10 keywords is always counterproductive — the user never knows where the search value has to be located, and data providers got it wrong half the time (e.g., mineral descriptions in lab databases are living nightmares - here we decided to put everything in a single parameter with no special order).
>

> I must add that what makes the system work is really to use limited lists of possible values, simple names with no fancy variations (lesson learnt from PDS3).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Stéphane
>

>> Le 9 févr. 2022 à 11:13, Markus Demleitner<msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de>  a écrit :
>>
>> Dear Semantics folks,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 02:20:46PM +0100, Tamara Civera wrote:
>>> I am writing to this group, because trying to unify the facility name in the
>>> different VO services offered by my observatory (SIAP, Obscore,...) the
>>> following doubt has arisen: *Should the facility name describe only the
>>> facility or observatory, the telescope or both?*
>>>
>>> According to the different VO protocols documentation:
>>>
>>> Obscore: "B7.1 The Facility class codes information about the observatory or
>>> facility used to collect the data."
>>>
>>> Obscore: "C.3 <FIELDname="facility_name"datatype="char"ucd="meta.id;instr.tel"utype="obscore:Provenance.ObsConfig.Facility.name"xtype="adql:VARCHAR"arraysize="128*"><DESCRIPTION>telescope
>>> name</DESCRIPTION></FIELD>"
>>>
>>> SIAP 2.0: "2.1.12 The FACILITY parameter is a string-valued parameter that
>>> specifies the name of the facility (usually telescope) where the data was
> [...]

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34