VEP-007: datalink-core#detached-header

Anne Catherine Raugh araugh at umd.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:49:50 CEST 2021

Here I am just playing with words to see where it takes us...

I can imagine this as two hierarchies:

documentation - information formatted for human reading and interpretation,
possibly digitized from an analog source (paper, microfilm, etc.)

readme - a brief overview of a data product, collection, or resource

manual - document describing procedures for performing one or more specific
actions

description - metadata presented in a non-machine-readable form

metadata - information about data products, formatted for programmatic
processing according to a published standard

header - metadata that is associated with a specific data product but
provided in a separate file. It may include metadata unique to the product.

supplemental - metadata that is applicable to a range of data products
(observing logs, index files, etc.)

Or:

documentation - information about one or more data products

text - documentation formatted specifically for human reading and
interpretation, possibly digitized from an analog source

readme - a brief overview of a data product, collection, or resource

manual - document describing procedures for performing one or more specific
actions

description - metadata presented in a non-machine-readable form

metadata - information about data products, formatted for programmatic
processing according to a published standard

header - metadata that is associated with a specific data product but
provided in a separate file. It may include metadata unique to the product.

supplemental - metadata that is applicable to a range of data products
(observing logs, index files, etc.)

You could remove the middle layer in the second example, but then your
definitions would (I assume) need to indicate which are machine-readable
and which are not. The "machine-readable" attribute is, of course, highly
desirable and needs to be well-defined if the ultimate goal is meeting FAIR
principles.

But if you're encoding essential attributes into the (human-readable)
descriptions, then your taxonomy is likely not sufficiently specific.

-Anne.