VEP-007: datalink-core#detached-header

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Sep 15 14:20:08 CEST 2021

Hi all,
Le 15/09/2021 à 12:00, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Hi François,
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 11:25:14AM +0200, BONNAREL FRANCOIS wrote:
>>         I know that VEP-007 will be discussed today and I will not
>> participate.
> Oh, dang.  So, what about VEP-006?  François, you seemed to still
> have concerns with that, too -- or can that go on now?
>
>>         I am strongly in favor of the new term itself.
>>         My small concern (with a proposal) is that as it is stated now in
>> "https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/semantics/veps/VEP-007.txt"
>>         The head-term of #detached-header is "documentation".
>>         I think that a head term like #metadata would be better.
>>         This term doesn't exist  up to now and I think it is  lacking.
>>         #metadata is different from #documentation in the sense that the
>> first one is machine readable while the other one is human readable
>>         So usage by clients would be very different. Other example for
>> #metadata would be #ivoa-provenance-metadata and #ivoa-obscore
>>         If you think this is a good idea I would like to add this term either
>> in the same VEP or as another VEP with the small modification of head-term
>> in VEP-007 itself
> First, I'm strongly against introducing terms on, effectively, a whim
> -- experience has shown many times it's almost certain that'll be
> trouble once we actually need a related concept.
>
> Instead, we should rather
>
> (a) have a clear need for the term, which for datalink/core means
> (for now): A link that either doesn't fit any of the existing
> concepts at all or requires splitting an existing concept because the
> link needs a different treatment (by a machine) from other members of
> that existing concept.
>
> (b) have a clear and plausible ("digital") *pragmatics* for that
> concept.  What we're doing here is machine-readable semantics, so to
> make a term worthwhile, there must be at least an idea (even better:
> implementation) of what a machine should do with the information that
> the link belongs to the new concept (rather than an old one).

This is a point where I have a major disagreement with Markus I'm afraid.

If we want to build a consistent vocabulary we have to think a little
bit ahead and also around the

specific use case we are dealing with.

We cannot rule out the discussion of a specific term just because we
don't  have a working example yet if it is obviously related to the term
which was first proposed.

In other words the "pragmatics" should be contextualised.

Cheers

François