Discussion on concept UCD: meta.ref.pid/ Persistend IDs and their various flavours

Yan Grange grange at astron.nl
Fri Nov 19 15:16:44 CET 2021

Hi Mireille,

On 15/11/2021 22:09, Mireille LOUYS wrote:
> Hello Yan , hello Semantics members,
>
> Thanks for bringing this use-case .
>
> I understand you need a ucd to tag your ePIC pid column .
> In terms of content descriptor , I understand you manipulate a
> http://meta.id
> <http://mailsweeper.astron.nl:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiZlNmQ1ZTlhOWQ1YWQ5NzM3Mz02MTkyQ0NDMV85NDMwM18xNzQzOF8xJiY3MTI2YTViNjU0OTkyZmE9MTIzMyYmdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZtZXRhJTJFaWQ=>
> .
> but it's a persistent one , defined by ePIC .
> So a general UCD for this could be
> P http://meta.pid
> <http://mailsweeper.astron.nl:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiZlNmQ1ZTlhOWQ1YWQ5NzM3Mz02MTkyQ0NDMV85NDMwM18xNzQzOF8xJiY3MTI2YTViN2M0NDllZTY9MTIzMyYmdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZtZXRhJTJFcGlk>
>     a general persistent identifier
Yes I think that is about the use case. Probably we may want to go for
meta.ref.pid (or meta.ref.handle as I propose a bit later) to make it
match what DOIs do. I have to admit I haven't thought through what the
UCD is that I will use for the time being but meta.id seems appropriate
indeed.

> Vizier also uses PIDs , but resolved following the doi standard. The
> UCD here is the existing /meta.ref.doi/
> which implies this ref can be resolved according to this standard .

Yes. Thing is of course that the DOI resolver also resolves ePIC PIDs
(and the other way around). So I guess if I would be using doi, that
would functionally work even though being plain wrong :).
> The same would apply to ORCID , and we could define a new ucd :
> P    meta.ref.orcid      An pid resolved by ORCID compliant tools
Yeah, the main reason I have mentioned ORCID is because someone else
mentioned it and I figured that data ownership is a thing and coupling
data to an actual person makes sense. To be fair I do not have  a use
case for this and I would look at peopele like you or Markus who
actually have a habit of sharing data from different sources. On the
other hand I thought: if we add pid-like entries and we think that
meta.ref.pid is too broad, we may actually prefer a few targetted ones
and why not put the most popular person identifier in there.

> It is definitely interesting to know more  about your data release and
> what you do with these PIDs in terms of
> definition , attribution, resolver, maintenance .

So we use ePIC PIDs. Our survey will get both an ePIC PID and a DOI,
then also there will be a data release paper (which will gets its own
DOI). Each pointing and each file will get its own ePIC PID. The primary
data product will then be exposed through the VO, and the ePIC PID is
one of the columns in the table (there the UCD comes in :) ). Then each
related dataproducts is linked through a datalink document (we have
about a dozen datalinks per primary product). So from an attribution
perspective we'd expect at least people using the primary data product
to be able to also refer to the product itself by its ePIC PID. This is
not a huge survey (at least not in terms of numbers of files) so we have
around 10k PIDs minted for it.

Maintainance: well, we don't have much to maintain in this respect
because our PIDs are actually aliases to PIDs from our infra provider.
That gives them the freedom to in principle change the storage back end,
put up warning pages in case of calamities, etc. So this is a pretty
low-maintainance thing for us :) .

I will probably not have too much time to turn this into an official
thing the coming week anyway so if you have more questions let me know :)

Cheers,

Yan

--
My working schedule likely differs from yours. Do not feel compelled to read or reply to my email(s) outside your office hours.

Yan Grange
SDC software developer
ASTRON
het Nederlands instituut voor radioastronomie
the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy
Oude Hogeveensedijk 4
Kamer/room 1.58
7991 PD, Dwingeloo
Nederland/The Netherlands