Discussion on concept UCD: meta.ref.pid/ Persistend IDs and their various flavours

Mireille LOUYS mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Mon Nov 15 22:09:01 CET 2021

Hello Yan , hello Semantics members,

Thanks for bringing this use-case .

I understand you need a ucd to tag your ePIC pid column .
In terms of content descriptor , I understand you manipulate a meta.id .
but it's a persistent one , defined by ePIC .
So a general UCD for this could be
P     meta.pid     a general persistent identifier

Vizier also uses PIDs , but resolved following the doi standard. The UCD
here is the existing /meta.ref.doi/
which implies this ref can be resolved according to this standard .

The same would apply to ORCID , and we could define a new ucd :
P    meta.ref.orcid      An pid resolved by ORCID compliant tools

It is definitely interesting to know more  about your data release and
what you do with these PIDs in terms of
definition , attribution, resolver, maintenance .

Cheers, Mireille

Le 09/11/2021 à 09:54, Yan Grange a écrit :
> Hi Mireille (and semantics working group),
>
> I could immagine that for ORCID it should not be too hard to find a
> use case (maybe Markus has ideas). For me the apparant use case is
> simple: I've got an upcoming data release and we minted EPIC PIDs for
> each of our data products. I've got those in a table and I am looking
> for a UCD to map them. Based on what Marco says I could use a
> handle.net URL, but I think the handle.net part is not necessarily
> guaranteed to be persistent so that may actually break the idea of a
> PID. If you think that is useful I can give a few details on my data
> relase :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Yan
>
> On 09/11/2021 09:18, Mireille LOUYS wrote:
>> Hi Yan , hi Semantics ,
>>
>> That sounds useful and reasonable to add this UCD term in the UCD tree .
>>
>> I agree.
>> Is there a use case /example that we could describe together to
>> include this in a VEP-UCD?
>>
>> many thanks,
>> Mireille
>>
>> Le 08/11/2021 à 19:24, Yan Grange a écrit :
>>> Hi Semantics people,
>>>
>>> What do you think of the following concept for a UCD? Looking
>>> forward to your feedback!
>>>
>>> ==============8<==============
>>>
>>> Vocabulary:
>>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ivoa-std/UCDList/v1.4-EN/ucd-list.txt
>>> Author: grange at astron.nl
>>> Date: 2021-11-08
>>> New Term: meta.ref.pid
>>> Action: Addition
>>> Label: Persistent Identifier

>>> Rationale: The current UCD list does contain a way to refer to
>>> persistent identifiers of type DOI (meta.ref.doi). However other
>>> persistent identifiers (e.g. EPIC PIDs, ORCIDs, etc) are not covered
>>> by this. Since all PIDs can in principle be resolved by all
>>> resolvers, no functional difference should exist between them and
>>> therefore I propose to inculde a general pid term in stead of having
>>> one entry per PID type. For backwards compatibility I propose not to
>>> change anything to meta.ref.doi and keep it in place.

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Yan Grange

Mireille Louys,  MCF (Associate Professor)
Centre de données CDS		IPSEO, Images, Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG		F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
Tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34