Discussion om concept UCD: meta.ref.pid

Anne Catherine Raugh araugh at umd.edu
Tue Nov 9 15:53:43 CET 2021

Markus, Marco, and whoever else is tracking...

I'm not automatically sure it's true that "most PIDs are URIs", but it
might depend on whether you mean the specific formation scheme as opposed
to the total number of identifiers created and/or resolvable. Technically
(and implementationally), once a URL is used as a PID it must be assumed
that at some point it will no longer "dereference itself". URLs can change;
identifiers that change (rather than, say, accumulating aliases) fail the
'P' test for PIDs.

Yes, I would very much like to see a collection of use cases, even
somewhat vague ones.  I can think of many potential uses for PIDs, but I
don't have an instinct for how many of them might be
useful/actionable/interesting in the IVOA environment.

Here are some potentially interesting links on the generalized PID end of
things:

   - The PID Forum (blog format). I haven't done a lot of digging around in
   it myself, but I've followed a number of references to articles posted
   here: https://pidforum.org/
   - There is a PID Interest Group in the Research Data Alliance, though
   they haven't produced much in the way of public artefacts. More interesting
   is the RDA Outputs & Recommendations Catalogue
   <https://www.rd-alliance.org/recommendations-and-outputs/catalogue>,
   where I see more than a couple documents that look to be worth reading.
   - If you want a broader sample of what's going on with PIDs in other
   disciplines, you can peruse the schedule for the last PIDapalooza event
   here: https://www.pidapalooza.org/

Regards,

-Anne.