Discussion om concept UCD: meta.ref.pid

Anne Catherine Raugh araugh at umd.edu
Mon Nov 8 21:07:34 CET 2021

I am confused by the comment "all PIDs can in principle be resolved by all
resolvers". As far as I can see this is not true. https://orcid.org/ cannot
resolve a DOI; https://ror.org cannot resolve an ORCID; I can't find any
general resolver for ISBNs at all; and so on. Each type of PID has its own
resolving scheme, and the resolver is distinct from the PID (because, of
course, the resolver URLs and protocols may change, but the PID itself must
not).

Those resolvers are starting to talk to each (see the DataCite Commons
<https://commons.datacite.org/> project for an example that ties DOIs to
ORCIDs and RORs by following PIDs in metadata and querying the respective
databases - and experience the non-trivial wait time for even a simple
query response to compile), but they cannot replace each other. This is why
the DataCite metadata schema requires a user to specify the PID type for
each PID in the metadata.

-Anne.