VOUnits maintenance release

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jun 30 15:27:45 CEST 2021

Dear Semantics WG,

Since about half a decade, there are a few, admittedly minor, changes
to VOUnits that have been in the version control system but not the
published document, with no indication (like an erratum) there.  To
get an idea what we're talking about here, see
https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VOUnitsNext or run

svn diff -r 2669:5702 VOUnits.tex

in a checkout of

https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/std-vounits

While the "hidden" fixes probably will not matter operationally
anywhere, I'm still not happy with having "uncommitted" (in the
standards process sense) changes around for so many years.

I could well imagine moving the document to github (and ivoatex) and
then preparing a minor maintenance release; given the minute changes
I'd expect this would not cause a lot of work for anyone.

On the other hand, we could of course just have a simple Erratum to
make readers aware of the clarifications.

The decision, I think, would be easy if there were more VOUnits
issues out there.  Are there?

Otherwise, does anyone have opinions on whether to prefer a
maintenance release or an erratum?

       -- Markus