#progenitor modification VEP

BONNAREL FRANCOIS francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 16 22:20:57 CEST 2021

Dear all,

after some private discussions with Markus a slightly different version
of the VEP you can still read below
Cheers
François (still in collaboration with Mireille)

Vocabulary:http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink-core  <http://www.ivoa.net/rdf/datalink-core>
Author: Mireille Louysmireille.louys at unistra.fr, François Bonnarel,francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Date: 2021-07-04

Term: #progenitor
Action: Modification
Label: Progenitor

Relationships:

Used-in: http://archive.eso.org/datalink/links?ID=ivo://eso.org/ID?ADP.2020-06-16T18:05:22.868
This DataLink response is related to ObsCore recordhttp://archive.eso.org/tap_obs/sync?REQUEST=doQuery&LANG=ADQL&MAXREC=20000000&QUERY=SELECT+TOP+9999+*+FROM+ivoa.ObsCore+WHERE+obs_publisher_did+%3D+%27ivo%3A%2F%2Feso.org%2FID%3FADP.2020-06-16T18%3A05%3A22.868%27+
In this case #this (the record in ObsCore) is an IFS cube. The progenitors are  KMOS observations (https://www.eso.org/sci/facilities/paranal/instruments/kmos.html) as it appears in DataLink response.

Rationale: The modification involves only the term description. Previous definition was "data resources that were used to create this dataset (e.g. input raw data)"
which was ambiguous, because it could encompass any dataset or resource used to produce #this, including calibration data. According to usage of terms in the workflow and provenance domain the new  "Description" restricts
progenitor to the sole less advanced science data used to produce #this. By "science data" we mean some signal directly obtained from observations or simulations of targeted parts of the sky or derived from it.
This is distinguished from calibration(-applied) data which allows to transform science data measurements in absolute physical units. By distinguishing progenitor and calibration(-applied) data
we allow to characterize specific roles for datasets in the process of production of #this.