Voc in the VO 2 / remarks

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jun 19 09:46:44 CEST 2020

Hi Mark,

Le 04/06/2020 à 00:48, Mark Taylor a écrit :
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, François Bonnarel wrote:
>
>>        2 ) for the  same reason (incomplete discussion) "Preliminary" terms
>> should not be set in the "official" vocabulary list even with the
>> "preliminary" tag. Examples using those terms should be provided in prototype
>> services or realistic example files.
> I disagree; I think that Markus's "preliminary" concept here is a
> nice idea.  Transitioning from protocol elements that are non-standard
> to ones that are standard is generally a messy job from the point of
> writing or running validators, and this proposal should make that
> transition smoother.  At the same time the "preliminary" tag will
> act as a health warning that a client can take account of if it
> wants to avoid entries that are not properly standardised, so I
> don't see that the existence of such preliminary terms is likely
> to cause harm.

Well, see the second part of my answer to Markus a minute ago.

If we want to have these preliminary terms in operational services we
should mark them as preliminary when using them, not only in the
vocabulary list.

And I still think it may be a heavier task for providers to implement
these  preliminary terms and have to change them several times.

Hence the prototyping idea.

Cheers

François