Voc in the VO 2 / remarks

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 00:48:25 CEST 2020

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, François Bonnarel wrote:

>       2 ) for the  same reason (incomplete discussion) "Preliminary" terms
> should not be set in the "official" vocabulary list even with the
> "preliminary" tag. Examples using those terms should be provided in prototype
> services or realistic example files.

I disagree; I think that Markus's "preliminary" concept here is a
nice idea.  Transitioning from protocol elements that are non-standard
to ones that are standard is generally a messy job from the point of
writing or running validators, and this proposal should make that
transition smoother.  At the same time the "preliminary" tag will
act as a health warning that a client can take account of if it
wants to avoid entries that are not properly standardised, so I
don't see that the existence of such preliminary terms is likely
to cause harm.

Mark