UCD IVOA standard : a few documents to read and review

Mireille Louys mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Mon Jun 19 14:16:08 CEST 2017

Dear Semantics subscribers,

The list of terms for UCD is evoling regularly, due to new requirements
in the Virtual Observatory framework and the astronomical domain at large.
if you want to know:

  * /where //is the most recent list of valid UCD terms ?/

         it is available in the current working draft currently in
discussion on the semantics list at
http://www.ivoa.net/documents/UCD1+/20170502/index.html
<http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ReviewUCDlist2017May>
you can provide your comments on the following discussion page :
<http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ReviewUCDlist2017May>http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ReviewUCDlist2017May

  * /how the UCD //vocabulary is maintained in the IVOA?/

         The 'Note-UCDlistMaintenance-2.0-20170602" , mentioned below,
is important to state /how /we will make this list evolve . The proposal
describes the ways new         terms can be requested and validated.

  * /how can I suggest a new term if I did not find an appropriate word
    or combination of words in the existing list?
    /

         New terms can now be requested at this page :
http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/RFMforUCD
         An answer and suggestion for usage if needed will be given on
the same wiki page after  a short period of discussion in the
Maintenance committee and the                         semantics WG.

Please review these documents so that we can proceed in the update of
the process to curate the IVOA vocabularies.
Many thanks , Mireille Louys
IVOA semantics WG chair

Le 02/06/2017 à 15:50, Francoise Genova a écrit :
> Dear colleagues,
>
> As discussed during the Semantics session in Shanghai, Mireille and I
> have been working on a new version (V2.0) of the UCD List Maintenance
> Standard. The basis discussed in Shanghai is to take advantage of the
> newly introduced IVOA Endorsed Note process (see
> http://www.ivoa.net/documents/DocStd/20170517) to facilitate the
> updates of the UCD vocabulary. It is proposed to deprecate the UCD
> list from Recommendation to Endorsed Notes, which can be updated to
> the next version by TCG agreement instead of going through the whole
> standardisation process. The Shanghai session participants insisted on
> the need that the updates are made as quickly as possible, and the new
> process allows to do that while keeping a formal procedure and
> cross-WG check. Please note that Endorsed Notes, like Recommendations,
> are published in the ADS, which ensures their visibility.
>
> I posted the draft UCD List Maintenance Note V2.0 implementing this
> new process on the Semantics page, together with a version in track
> change mode from the current V1.20, to initiate the discussion "in
> WG". The documents are here:
>
> http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaSemantics/Note-UCDlistMaintenance-2.0-20170602.pdf
> (also attached to this email)
> http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaSemantics/Note-UCDlistMaintenance-2.0-20170602_withchanges.pdf
>

> Your comments are very welcome. Mireille and I would like to be able
> to proceed as swiftly as possible, so we invite you to provide your
> comments by 23 June so that we can deal with them before the Northern
> hemisphere vacation period.
>
> Cheers
>
> Francoise

Mireille Louys
CDS  						Laboratoire Icube
Observatoire de Strasbourg	Telecom Physique Strasbourg
11 rue de l'Université 		300, Bd Sebastien Brandt CS 10413
F- 67000-STRASBOURG			F-67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex
tel: +33 3 68 85 24 34