UCD stat quantities P/S question

Sebastien Derriere sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Jul 22 12:12:50 CEST 2016

   Hi Mark,

   I'd go along the lines of François on this topic.
   The rule-of-thumb for UCDs is that "the first word carries most of
the meaning". This can be tricky in some situations, and one could
argue on the semantics, but still.
   The mean value of a velocity is still a velocity, hence
phys.veloc;stat.mean  makes sense.

   A standard deviation of velocity, even if expressed in km/s, is
more a statistical thing than a velocity measurement, so
stat.stdev;phys.veloc

   It gets tricky when we talk about velocity ratio or differences for
example. Quite often, ratios are used to normalize a quantity to
some reference value, and arith.ratio and arith.diff have a S flag,
so suggested UCDs are

phys.veloc;arith.diff
phys.veloc;arith.ratio

Sébastien

    (((    Sebastien Derriere     sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
   (. .)   Observatoire de Strasbourg       Phone +33 (0) 368 852 444
  (( v ))  11, rue de l'universite        Telefax +33 (0) 368 852 432
---m-m--- F-67000 Strasbourg  France