Update of the IVOA UCD list incorporating items for planetary data

Baptiste Cecconi baptiste.cecconi at obspm.fr
Tue Sep 2 12:24:22 CEST 2014

Hi Marco !

Le 1 sept. 2014 à 12:54, Marco Molinaro <molinaro at oats.inaf.it> a écrit :

> Dear all,
> a few points.
>
> If, prompted by Planetary data use cases, we add about 10 em.line.* words, can we consider adding
> em.line.OII (OIII already exists)
> em.line.Hepsilon/zeta/eta/theta (going beyond alpha/beta/gamma/delta)
> em.line.CaK
> em.line.CaH
> em.line.Mg
> em.line.Na
> too?
> Otherwise, if you feel that going this way we'll have this em.line.* list explode, we should think about some policy for adding to it (not for UCD v1.3 of course).

I would rather agree with you.
The proposed list comes from case studies where it was found to be useful. If for other cases the lines you propose are needed, we should add them.
I also agree that there is a danger of strong inflation here...

> Then, regarding the added UCDs, I have two specific questions.
>
> The first is about src.orbital.TissJ
> If the UCDs should not describe too much in detail a parameter or physical concept, isn't it too much adding two UCDs for the Tisserand parameter, one specifically related to Jupiter?

In the studied case, the table contains two columns, one for the classical Tisserand Parameter (related to Earth, if I remember well) and another one related to Jupiter.

> The second is about the phys.particle.* block.
> If we are to add neutron/proton/alpha there, why don't we take the chance to move phys.electron to phys.particle.electron?
> I see there's a phys.electron.degeneracy parameter below it, but maybe we can refactor that branch.

I also agree here, may be for next round ?

Cheers
Baptiste