VOUnits: _another_ version, based on implementation feedback

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 28 08:26:34 PDT 2013

A couple of comments.

I strongly support using "UNKNOWN", rather than '?'.
It's consistent with usage in STC.

I agree that STRING QUOTED_STRING is ugly, unwise, and not really necessary.

I agree with Markus on the function names.

And I agree that deca/deka should be disallowed - it's pretty useless
anyway.

I do lament disallowing "cy": it's common and clear, and I'm not impressed
by "hyr", even less by "ha".

MJD is a concept; more importantly, it serves to set the zero point
of the time measurement and implies use of the unit 'd'.
So, yes, it definitely is not a unit; the same for JD, of course.

I am not entirely comfortable with disallowing "Ba" and "ta"
(although I am about equally uncomfortable with allowing them).
The question is: what do you propose to do when someone asks
for putting a catalog that measures time in one of thsoe units into a
VOTable?

Just for a piece of trivia:
There is a body of data files that uses a "Vanguard unit of time" which
actually is a centi-day
- but the centi-day is disallowed.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA