[QUAR] Re: Expressing position in RDF

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:47:58 PDT 2008

Bernard Vatant wrote:

> how do you attach measurement results to an object?

This is begging the question in an observational science.  The
existence of the object is the null hypothesis you're trying to test.
Anyway, I don't think Matthew was looking for a philosophical
discussion :-)

But if you did want to pursue this, one might suggest starting with
the distinction between the dependent and independent variables of the
observation/measurement.

> Seems to me the scientific community (at least its members involved
> in Semantic Web) should try and standardize this at some point.

This is the center of the scientific maelstrom.  One might have better
luck first looking elsewhere.

> I've been looking for relevant pointers to people working on this in
> other domains (say e.g., Biology, Earth sciences ...) without much
> success so far I'm afraid.

Returning to the question at hand, this is an interesting point.  We
act as if astronomical coordinates are particularly difficult.  They
are, in fact, particularly well behaved.  Things tend to stay put on
the celestial sphere (for many purposes).  Imagine building the same
assertions for - say - wildlife management.  A herd of caribou doesn't
stand still.

One may, however, make assertions - as with stars - about the
temperature of a particular caribou or other parameters such as sex or
mass or age.  These are assertions inherent in the object itself.  One
may make assertions about group behavior - a "cluster" of caribou.
One may make assertions about evolutionary descent.

But it is orders of magnitude more difficult to specify location
(longitude and latitude as a function of time) for caribou than it is
for stars.  And in astronomy, one is typically expressing targeting
coordinates (explictly or implicitly) for future observations.  On the
other hand, predicting the future migrations of caribou is simply
impossible.

It seems unremarkable to me that an assertion in an astronomical
context (say, stars), might look something like:

	X is a star
	X corresponds to target Y
	Y has WCS Z
	Z has an RA (along with a bunch of other attributes) - and
corresponding to some fiducial point like the centroid of a PSF

Compare to:

	A is a caribou
	A is somewhere in Alaska
	Alaska has (complex and idiosyncratic) GIS data structure B
	B has a footprint the size of the lower 48 east of the Mississippi

Rob