Astronomical vocabulary explorer

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Sat May 3 12:57:26 PDT 2008

Franck,

    The semantics group settled on creating  Thesauri using the SKOS/RDF
vocabulary first and then translating that into OWL as needed.  However,
there is not really an existing SKOS editor to my knowledge.  There is a
pluggin to the Protege Application that is supposed to do SKOS, but I
tried it just now and found that it is not really ready for use.
One way forward would be to use an XML editor and an XML Schema for
vocabularies to create a .XML version and then transform it into
SKOS/RDF.  If you don't mind using something developed in Britain, you
could use their e-gov IPSV vocabulary language
http://www.esd.org.uk/standards/xmlschemas/taxonomy-v3.3.xsd and then
transform the .xml instance via the Perl script
http://thesauri.cs.vu.nl/eswc06/ipsv/convertipsv.pl.
    Being an ontology fan, I would go a different route.  One could use
the ontology of SKOS
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/owl-dl/skos-core-owl-dl.owl and use
an OWL or RDF editor.  In this case all of the terms would be
Individuals (mostly of Concepts).  This is also not optimal, because
creating individuals is still pretty clumsy in editors like Protege or
TopQuandrant.  The advantage, is that you would not need to do a
conversion since it should provide valid SKOS and in the editor you can
navigate through the related terms by clicking.
    A group of us spent a couple of days creating a Theory ontology and
an Operations ontology which may be related to what you are doing.  You
could see what we have so far at
http://atlas.astro.umd.edu:8080/astro-onto/index.html.  Check out from
there: PhysicalTheory.owl and Operations.owl.   These are still just
skeletons though (ie no real meat yet).
    I would be interested in seeing what you produce with Algorithms and
Simulations, and in fact would like to help out if I can.

Ed