Plural terms and their multiple definitions

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Feb 11 06:19:17 PST 2008

Alasdair J G Gray wrote:

> The above is not quite true, it is all down to our usage. It is
> entirely possible to create a vocabulary that has separate concepts
> for the singular and plural versions of any given term. It has been
> an unwritten assumption that in this work we have been treating them
> as somehow "equivalent" and hence using altLabels.

and

> I agree with Ed that each term/concept in a vocabulary should
> contain just one preferred label and more importantly one
> definition. The whole point of this work is to be able to
> distinguish between the multiple meanings of terms.

Well, if the only recourse provided is to include separate terms for
singular and plural, e.g., for SN and for SNe, then it is certainly
preferred to attach them as altLabels to the same concept.

The flip side of distinguishing distinct meanings is to reliably NOT
distinguish variations of the same meaning...  However, I must still
believe that the librarians have some way not only of seeing that SN
and SNe refer to the same objects (well, subjects), but to go further
and perceive the difference in number expressed.  Dictionaries will
list the plural under the singular's heading, but do provide
information to tell the two apart.

After all, the definition of "nose" is something like "that unique
thing on your face", while the definition (or, at least, crossword
clue) for "noses" might be "puntillitas for Hannibal".  Which is to
say that plural and singular point to distinct definitions in the
strictest interpretation.  I'm not arguing that we fuss about this -
but again, what is the SKOS commenting convention so that our
altLabels can be tuned to be responsive to our purposes?

> Absolutely. There are no limits on the number of alternative labels.
> Of course, the applications that make use of the vocabularies will
> have to be wary that the same label can be used for different
> concepts and get the user to clarify which of the meanings they
> intended. This is why it is so important to have definitions for the
> terms as the application would only be able to display the labels
> back to the user if the definitions did not exist.

Isn't displaying the labels precisely the point, though?  A user (or
other source) provides a token.  That token is not part of the
controlled vocabulary, but rather is a label.  The label is as likely
to be an altLabel as a prefLabel.  We can probably assure that the
prefLabels are mapped both surjectively and injectively (i.e., "one-to-
one correspondence" or "if and only if", etc.) onto the controlled
concepts, but we've convincing demonstrated that we'll never arrange
this for the altLabels.

Thus there is a dialogue with the user, parroting not the altLabels
(and not the definitions), but rather the prefLabels for all matching
terms back for the user to select.  Perhaps the labels won't be
enough, in that case other information about the terms would be
available - but not just the definitions (short or long), but the
narrower and broader thans, etc.  I actually think the latter will be
of more utility than the former in further limiting the search.  "Do
you mean the "Milky Way" that is narrower than "candy bar", or rather
the "Milky Way" that is narrower than "spiral galaxy" that is narrower
than "galaxy"?

(Which, of course, raises the question of denoting proper names, key
for the constellation vocabulary, among others :-)

But the first scenario is surely to focus altLabels down to
prefLabels, right?  What else would the definition of "prefLabel" be?

- Rob