Multiple definitions

Frederic V. Hessman hessman at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Feb 8 05:51:31 PST 2008

 >> I also would not underestimate the number of times a term has
 >> multiple meanings.
 >
 > Indeed!
 >
 >> That is unacceptable for us.

Multiple definitions may be cumbersome, but they are reality.   I
would rather have too many than too few to choose from.   Here's my
best attempt at a "scenario" to show that computers should like
multiple definitions:

VO-app:  "What would you like to observe today?"
Astronomer: "The comet from yesterday's APOD."
	(pause to look for an IVOA vocabulary which explains what "APOD" means)
VO-app: "OK"
	(pause to find an HTN telescope)
VO-app: "The camera's FOV is only 10 arcminutes: what part of the
object would you like to observe first?"
Astronomer: "Nucleus."
VO-app: "Completed, downloaded and displayed in your VO-viewer.   Next
target?"
Astronomer: "Tail."
VO-app: "Completed, downloaded and displayed in your VO-viewer.   Next
target?"
Astronomer: "Coma."
VO-app: "Slewing to Abell 1656..."

Rick