POWL

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Wed Sep 26 08:16:47 PDT 2007

I remembered seeing Collaborative Protege, so I thought I would give it
a try.
  http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/collab-protege/
  http://www2007.org/workshops/paper_93.pdf

If you are interested in testing this out download Protege3.3.1 (or
later) Full.  Install Everything.
Edit the run_protege.sh to have a line

PORTOPTS=" -Dprotege.rmi.server.port=5256"

When it fires up. Click on "Open Other"
Choose "Server" button
Host machine name: atlas.astro.umd.edu
The username and password should already be Guest and Guest.
Select Collaborative Project: Collaborative Astronomy
Wait at least 30 seconds.
You should get all of our ontologies to load in, but you can only change
  Astronomy here (don't know if it can do multiple ontologies somehow).
  Get the classes tab.
AstronomyEntities is all the way on the bottom.  You can open that up
and make changes, comment the changes, make voting proposals, chat, etc.
It has the usual clunkiness of a large java application.

As we make changes, we should keep in the mind that the primary
application of this ontology is the OWLViper tool which uses Jena and
Pellet reasoners and generally hunts for data in archive/repositories,
displays tables of this data, and allows transforms/Operations to be
applied to the data. So, we require classification of objects,
measurements and operations.  I did import the SKOS.owl, but this is not
meant to be the SV nor the SAV.

If you want me to, I can set up a separate Project with just skos.owl
for the SV, but I take it that we are not mixing our modes of
transportation, yet.

Ed