How to choose?

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 02:51:08 PDT 2007

I'm not too sure what you're arguing for/against, Rob. For consensus - I
agree but noted dubiety. For more time to discuss this - I agree but others
think we need an SV *now*. Against using one method for all problems -
definitely but I call to mind past history of IVOA (I'm only surprised
no-one has proposed VOTable for the SV). For a set of use cases - I agree
and have called for them before [1]. For further study of Frost -
absolutely.

As far as I'm concerned this aspect of the threads is simply about which
technology to use for the SV, not about what the whole area of semantics
might mean to the whole area of the VO.

[1]: I've created a couple of new wiki pages (see links from
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaSemantics#Standard_Vocabulary)
in which we can define use cases and the scope of the SV. Maybe populating
these will help reach consensus.

T.