Vocab term selection

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Wed Sep 19 10:06:10 PDT 2007

(topic renamed as it is more than just solar terms)

I was heartened to learn from Andrea’s previous post that:

> The point of the draft under discussion is not to include all possible
> astronomical terms in the SV, but to be able to express any possible
> astronomical term, locally defined, in terms of standard SV tokens (or
> words, as we call them in UCD-ish).

and I assumed from this that: a) where astronomers use two or more terms to
mean the same thing, we would choose one for the SV, and b) any new concept
would only get its own term if it cannot already be conveyed by a
combination of existing terms (or until the term becomes commonplace on its
own).

The above approach will help in DAL/DM to allow for the labelling of items
with the SV ‘normalised’ term and the lookup of the human-worded definition
of those terms.

As regards searching however, it will only make easier guided searching, ie
that where the user selects (or types if they’ve a good memory) terms from
the SV to narrow some search. What it will not do is make easier the type of
search where the user simply enters the set of terms that they are used to
using in the expectation that the application will understand them.

Is this a problem?

T.