Solar vocabularies

Elizabeth Auden eca at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 19 08:48:10 PDT 2007

Hi Rick,

> do we want to define a vocabular basis of words which
> users and apps are expected to stick together in some hopefully
> simple fashion.

I'd like to try this approach first for solar and STP components of the SV
vocabulary. We can start with the object / event / phenomena terms used in
the Lockheed Martin heliophysics knowledge base (currently about 20
solar-specific terms, I think) and in Peter Fox's STP event / phenomena
ontologies used with the Virtual Solar Terrestrial Observatory (I haven't
read the ontologies thoroughly, so I cannot estimate how many terms are
solar specific rather than, say, volcano-specific terms, which are also
included.)

After an initial draft of these terms has been compiled and approved by
the IVOA vocab group, I'd like to propose discussing the list of
solar terms with the Virtual Solar Observatory to see if there are
specific terms their searches incorporate which we've missed.

The "official" list of terms from these two sources will not be large, and
we may find that potential duplicates such as "starspot" versus "sunspot"
are resolved if solar resources are more likely to use "active region" or
a specific phenomenon (filament, flare, wave, etc) instead.

What do you think?

cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Auden, MSSL
Holmbury St. Mary, Dorking RH5 6NT
Tel: +44 (0)1483 204 276
eSDO Technical Lead, AstroGrid Developer