SV: do we need it?

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 07:39:30 PDT 2007

It has been suggested that the need for the SV is obvious and pressing. Is
it? What for? Maybe people could reply to this with their own views.

One question: is the IVOA able to create something which seems to more
properly be the domain of the astronomical community as a whole. We already
have trouble getting astronomers to engage with the VO (or so I gather from
the concerns of the exec): will the creation of what is termed a Standard
Vocabulary for astronomy be seen as an arrogant assumption? Is there some
IAU (or similar) group we ought to engage with to ensure that this effort is
welcomed by astronomers?

T.

--
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)785 298 8840
Email:  Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org
Programme Manager, AstroGrid     http://www.astrogrid.org