Vocabulary: Ontology

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Wed Sep 12 02:32:47 PDT 2007

Hi Matthew
> I've been thinking about this lately and I believe that one of the
> reasons that astronomy is behind other sciences in this field is that
> we are actually taxonomically challenged. In spite of our extensive
> history, we do not have the depth or rigidity of classification that,
> for example, biology, chemistry or crystallography has. This means
> that our definitions are fuzzier and actually more akin to arts
> semantics (e.g. book genres) than science. Maybe we should be looking
> more at what's happening in these fields than those where there are
> families, species and subspecies.
Well, grass is always greener on the other bank of the river. All
sciences have to constantly challenge and review their classification
schemes (ontologies if you like) in order to move forward. Since you
quote biology, things can be as "fuzzy" there as in astronomy. See e.g.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_problem
with this quotation at the end, among others:
" The species problem is the long-standing failure of biologists to
agree on how we should identify species and how we should define the
word 'species' "

Rings a bell?

--

*Bernard Vatant