Vocabulary: Ontology

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 12 01:16:27 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've been thinking about this lately and I believe that one of the
reasons that astronomy is behind other sciences in this field is that we
are actually taxonomically challenged. In spite of our extensive
history, we do not have the depth or rigidity of classification that,
for example, biology, chemistry or crystallography has. This means that
our definitions are fuzzier and actually more akin to arts semantics
(e.g. book genres) than science. Maybe we should be looking more at
what's happening in these fields than those where there are families,
species and subspecies.

    Cheers,

    Matthew