Vocabulary: Ontology

Bernard Vatant bernard.vatant at mondeca.com
Tue Sep 11 06:28:20 PDT 2007

Hello all

I've been lurking at this thread for a while. Just a few cents I would
like to add.

Indeed the "O" word does not help, although it conveys very simple an
quite general ideas, that IMO can be expressed in a language anyone can
understand (hopefully what I am about to write is more understandable
than the excerpt picked up by Ron :-) ).

Data can most of the time (always?) be considered as descriptions of
*things*, in a very broad sense : individual objects such as galaxies,
planets, people, instruments, books, instruments, observatories, but
also general concepts such as "infrared" or "gravitational collapse". Of
course there are such things as "broad data" singularly in astronomy,
such as those coming out of an instrument, but let's address here data
interpreted as being attached to (attributes of) things. The ontological
status of such things is of course a major point in science, and
singularly in astronomy, but this is yet another story we can forget for
a moment.

Now the things data are about, and their types/classes/categories are
not always explicit in the data. They might be explicited in the data
schema (more or less so).
Most of the time, in a given data base, a same data schema is used for
things of the same category/type/class, there again whether it is
explicited or not. You have one schema for stars, and one for galaxies,
and one for books, and so on.

What does the RDF pile brings to that? What the heck with ontologies?
Roughly the following principles, and the tools supporting them.

Explicit the types of things your data are about. (called "classes" in
OWL - big deal).
Explicit the structure of data (elements of description) used for each
type/class of thing (called "properties" in RDF).
Explicit the properties which express relations between things (this
star belongs to that cluster/that type; this photograph if of that star,
and is taken by that instrument ...), against properties of which value
are simple data (mass, distance, luminosity, date of discovery, catalog
number ...).
Use standard identifiers such as URI for things, their types and
properties, so that data coming from different data sources can be
compared, merged, or generally queried or browsed as if it were a single
data base.

This can be achieved by using just about any kind of internal data model
for each data source, and transformed on demand (processing dump export,
web services, whatever) into a common RDF syntax (which boils down at
the end of the day to a triple store).

As an illustration, I don't know if folks here are aware of the Linking
Open Data project [1], and singularly of the DBpedia [2] data base,
which happens to contain quite a lot of descriptions extracted from
Wikipedia pages - which quality might vary, OK, but just try the following.
Go to http://dbpedia.openlinksw.com:8890/sparql
And copy the following SPARQL query in the query box

PREFIX  category:  <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Category:>
PREFIX  skos:  <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#>
PREFIX  prop: <http://dbpedia.org/property/>

SELECT    ?x ?p
WHERE {  ?x  skos:subject category:Delta_Scuti_variables.
                  ?x  skos:subject category:Bayer_objects.
                  ?x  prop:parallax ?p.}

I am sure it does not need translation in natural language :-) .
The query results as of today are as following

x 	p
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Vega 	129.01
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Beta_Cassiopeiae 	69.5
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Delta_Capricorni 	84.58
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Denebola 	90.16
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Sigma_Octantis 	12.07

Put any of those URI in your browser and see what you get.

All the point now is : Do you care for IVOA data to be merged/compared
or otherwise linked to such public data? Or not?

Best

Bernard

[1] http://linkeddata.org
[2] http://dbpedia.org