Vocabulary+SV

Alasdair Gray agray at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Tue Sep 11 02:08:55 PDT 2007

From: owner-semantics at eso.org [mailto:owner-semantics at eso.org] On Behalf
Of Frederic V. Hessman
Sent: 11 September 2007 08:35
To: semantics at ivoa.net
Cc: Rob Seaman; Allan Alasdair; Tuparev Georg
Subject: Re: Vocabulary+SV

I think the main point is that it doesn't really matter what format we
use, as long as 1) VOcabulary remains primarily a token list, 2) thus
remains "easy" to process with "standard" tools, and 3) we all adopt it
as the main (only?) standard in our daily VO-operations (the latter is
the whole point of this frustrating exercise).  If someone needs a copy
in OWL or Excel or CSV or cunieform, then there will always be simple
means for translating a token list, with or without some ontological
baggage.

Do you not also need some standard definition for the tokens to ensure
that everyone uses the terms in the same way? If you are going to have
such a standard definition, why not also make the definition machine
readable? This does not mean that the machine has to make use of these
definitions every time the tokens are used, but since it is likely that
people will be using the standard vocabulary in conjunction with other
vocabularies it would be useful to then be able to perform automated
reasoning.

Alasdair

Alasdair J G Gray <http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~agray/>

Research Associate: Explicator Project