IVOA Vocabularies - WD

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Thu Sep 6 12:07:57 PDT 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007, Tony Linde wrote:
> If there is a good reason for not using the common standard, it would
> be a good idea to make that clear in the document.

Indeed, and it should be clear that there are very large costs
associated with making a vocabulary like this if interoperability
should ever become an issue. Instead of using a toolset developed by a
large community, you would have to engineer and develop all tools for
this yourself.

I would certainly not use straight XML for this purpose, XML is just a
data structure. OWL or SKOS is the technology that is being adopted all
over for this kind of problem. To some extent, Topic Maps (pretty much
a dying technology) and ISO 15926 are relevant too.

SKOS is not yet finished, therefore it has a window of opportunity now
to comment on the standard if there are issues that should be
addressed. I am willing to relay comments to the Semantic Web
Deployment Working Group, which is entity responsible for the
specification. However, I'll be away for the next 7 weeks.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC