Ontology dynamics and vocabulary best practice

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Tue Oct 23 07:36:26 PDT 2007

> Pointer number one: an annotated bibliography of documents and web
> pages concerned with taxonomy and thesaurus management. This is at
> <http://www.nglis.org.uk/tipsbib.htm> (that document is Word-only,
> but it seems they're going to put a PDF version there soon, and
> there's an older PDF version at <http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/
> documents/ Bibliography2005-05-11.pdf>). This came from a chat with
> a (paper) archivist colleague at Glasgow.

Thanks for these tips, Norman.

I flipped through a few of the entries - ugh!  All very interesting,
but it would be nice to have someone be able to step back, glance
around, and give us a few last (!) tips.  For instance at the
Introductory Tutorial on Thesaurus Construction, http://
instruct.uwo.ca/gplis/677/thesaur/main00.htm#contents , I found the
following

Standardizing the Form of Words

Terms collected should already be nouns or noun phrases. Here are
some further guidelines for the form that terms should take in your
final thesaurus.
Guidelines
Examples
Plural for things that can be counted
"TUBES"
Singular for "mass" nouns
"WOOD"
Singular for processes, properties, and conditions
"REFRIGERATION"
"WEIGHT",
"POVERTY"
Not inverted
"RADAR ANTENNAS"
(rather than "ANTENNAS, RADAR")
Excluding prepositions
"CARBOHYDRATE METABOLISM"
(rather than "METABOLISM OF CARBOHYDRATES")
Excluding punctuation marks, diacritics, special characters, and
abbreviations
"COOPERATIVE PROGRAMS"
(rather than "CO-OPERATIVE PROGRAMS" or "COÖPERATIVE PROGRAMS")
"MUSICAL NOTES"
(rather than "(MUSICAL) NOTES" or "MUS. NOTES"

I'm not sure what a "mass noun" is - probably those with no separate
plural (like "deer" and "information"?), but otherwise the rules
sounds reasonable and we've basically been following them (i.e. the
IAU thesaurus probably followed them).  Well, do we use "pre main
sequence stars" or "premain sequence stars" or can we simply keed
"pre-main sequence stars" (stars are "countable" so "stars" rather
than "star")?  Like all rules, I'm sure they are also made to be
broken....

I'll go through our list and see what things might need to be changed
based on these rules (assuming that we can keep a few hyphens after
all).

> The 'Art and Architecture Thesaurus' is reportedly a much-cited
> model of good practice. It appears that archives people do indeed
> have drummed into them the substantial costs involved in creating
> or maintaining thesauri.

There are orders of magnitude more arts and architecture people out
there, so we shouldn't be too bashful about just now accepting the
idea that a thesaurus might be a good idea ;-)

On the other hand, the Art&Arch thesaurus has lots of nuances which
we really don't want to get into (yet):
	"="	for exact equivalence
	"+/-" for inexact equivalence ("more or less")
	"<" for partial equivalence
	"+" for single-to-multiple equivalence
	"NE" for non-equivalence

or how about this section to make life complicated:

IX. Plural and Singular Term Forms

The ISO standards recommend that each language be displayed following
its national standard even if this results in parallel displays in
both the singular and the plural. ISO 5964 states that in general the
singular is preferred in French and German thesauri, while the plural
is preferred in British English and American English thesauri.
Singular or plural use may also depend on the type of institution
that creates the vocabulary. The Anglo-American library community in
many cases prefers the plural for count nouns and the singular for
non-count nouns; the museum community often applies the singular for
both count and non-count nouns. The International Terminology Working
Group accepts both plural and singular use in participating
vocabularies according to the current usage of each. Equivalents are
acceptable between singular terms in one vocabulary and plural in the
other[17].

and they even  have an on-line term input form: http://www.chin.gc.ca/
Resources/Publications/Guidelines/English/Appendices/example-mtts1.html

Rick