Deliverables (was: IAU thesaurus in RDF (an update))

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 02:27:39 PDT 2007

Rob, hello.

On 2007 Oct 9, at 05:20, Rob Seaman wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>
>> The present IAU/IVOA list is already too large to be handled easily
>
> Perhaps we should just start with the IAU Thesaurus SKOS'ed
> verbatim?  (With errata, I suppose?)  The initial VOEvent namespace
> (that we actually need) would then be the SV with terms from the
> Thesaurus removed.  Call these both v1.0, with the obvious intent
> of updating them down the road.

I heartily agree (though with some reservations about the term 'SV',
which still seems to mean different things to different people).

I think, in fact, that we should SKOSify everything in sight, and
only then worry about what to do next.

I have already seen near-deliverable quality SKOS versions of the
A&A, AOIM and IAU vocabularies (both from Rick and from Alasdair
Gray), and I presume Rick has or could promptly produce a similar
version of this VOEvent vocabulary.  In addition, Rick has elaborated
the labels and identified UCD equivalences for at least two of these
that I know of.  Plus, I can see at least the preparatory work to
produce SKOSified UCD and HOU vocabularies.

That's four to eight products _right now_.  How about doing final
tidying, doing some namespace housekeeping, and adding some
commentary in the form of an IVOA WG Note in at most a month from
now.  Bingo!

The URL of the Note could act as the base namespace for all the
produced vocabularies (this appears to be standard practice).

With a Note in place, we have a fixed target for us and others to
criticise, and can then discuss what further standardisation is
actually required, and either produce that, or simply promote the
Note to a WD.

I'll volunteer to do any necessary writing or editing.

All the best,

Norman