IAU thesaurus in RDF (an update)

Alasdair Gray agray at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 02:26:08 PDT 2007

Hi,

It seems to me that the VOEvent problem requires a scaled down
vocabulary that allows them to describe the issues that they are
actually encountering. This should not contain all the historical
baggage which, by my reading of the mails on the VOEvent and the
semantics list, is contained in the IAU Thesaurus.

That is not to say that updating and standardising the IAU Thesaurus is
a bad thing. In fact, I think that it is a valuable contribution. What
is required are mappings that relate concepts in the VOEvent vocabulary
with concepts in the IAU Thesaurus and for the vocabularies to be in a
standardised, machine processible format such as SKOS. This will allow
increased interoperability. For example, if there are other groups using
their own tailor made vocabularies with mappings between them then a
VOEvent can link to relevant articles in the literature by linking in
with the journal keywords thesaurus.

Cheers,

Alasdair

Alasdair J G Gray