IAU thesaurus in RDF (an update)

Frederic V. Hessman Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Fri Oct 5 00:55:24 PDT 2007

On 4 Oct 2007, at 9:50 pm, Ed Shaya wrote:

> Just some quick comments on the IAU.rdf:
>
> Missing ZZ_Ceti_star concept definition, something like this:
> 	<skos:Concept rdf:about="#ZZ_Ceti_stars">
> 		<skos:inScheme rdf:resource=""/>
> 		<skos:prefLabel>ZZ Cetus stars</skos:prefLabel>
> 		<skos:altLabel>ZZ Ceti stars</skos:altLabel>
> 		<skos:definition>ZZ Ceti stars</skos:definition>
> 	</skos:Concept>
>
> I don't understand why there are so many TopConcepts, most of which
> have  many layers of broader things above it.
> For instance _21_cm_line is a top concept, yet broader is
> radio_recombination_lines, broader is recombination_lines, broader
> is emission_lines, broader is specral_lines.  I would perhaps
> accept spectral_lines as a TopConcept.

Sorry - I just flushed all of the Concepts right through without
thinking about it (I'm interested in the tokens, not the
relationships).   It was no problem to throw out Concepts which are
somebody's NT, now reduced from 2790 (!!) to 991 (!).   Are
"TopConcepts" really so important?  I confess I stuck them in only
because Norman had in his documents and I could just as easily leave
them out.  Presumably, your OWL tools determine top-edness
automatically.

> By the way it is real easy to see these details in the OWL version.
> Just add the the line
> <owl:Ontology rdf:about=""> </owl:Ontology>

Don't speak OWL, so If someone will suggest a complete and standard
OWL syntax for the entries, I'd be happy to automatically produce an
OWL version / include OWL elements as well, as appropriate.

> I also added
> 			 xmlns:IAU="http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE/~hessman/
> rdf/IAU#" xml:base="http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE/
> ~hessman/rdf/IAU"
>
> so that I could delete the http:.... in every line, reduces the
> size by a good amount.

Good idea - memory is cheap but bandwidth is still limited.

Thanks for the this round of corrections.  Any more?

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman     Hessman at Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Institut für Astrophysik          Tel.  +49-551-39-5052
Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1         Fax +49-551-39-5043
37077 Goettingen                 Room F04-133
http://www.Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.de/~hessman
MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes
http://monet.Uni-Goettingen.de